The Fundamentals of Effective Communication
This course will introduce several key interpersonal communication skills and will allow for practice and comprehension.
The focus will be on real-world business applications, as related to your team and offices communication style. We will systematically help your team become more effective communicators with each other and with their clients.
We Will Cover the Following Themes:
- Using “yes, and…” to build ideas in a positive way with customers and team
- Thinking on the spot and responding effectively
- Speaking y our clients language
- Understanding the three levels of listening
- Being agile when dealing with constraints and obstacles
- Gaining self awareness and awareness of others
- Looking at things from multiple perspectives
- Learning how to recognize and harness non-verbal cues
- Adjusting the dynamics to influence others
- Surrendering personal agenda when needed
Effective Communication for Tech Teams
Whether we realize it or not, we all improvise our communications. In our work, we regularly face unforeseen scenarios and obstacles, such as having to respond to last-minute changes, shifting deadlines or project requirements, or even communicating issues to management. However, one key quality that all successful teams share is strong communication, particularly being able to communicate effectively even when under pressure and duress.
Wherein lies the rub: engineers and developers are expected to communicate as seamlessly with people as they do with computers, and leaders are expected to exercise nimble decision-making skills in a complex and unpredictable business. In both cases, being responsive, adaptive, innovative, and intuitive is a must. But rarely are either group given the tools and methodology for effective exchanges. What most people need is training to help to think quickly when under pressure, and about how and what to communicate.
This workshop sharpens communications skills so teams can collaborate as an effective unit. Using experiential, hands-on exercises, and by focusing on real-world applications and utilizing proven techniques, participants will become more aware of their communication skills through exploring and honing new effective communication methods. Practices such as active listening, body language awareness, and thinking on the spot are introduced and correlated to specific business cases and scenarios so that your team can operate optimally and as one.
Attendees will learn:
- Internal & external awareness
- Active listening and being in the moment
- Using empathy to build trust and relationships
- Using the “Yes, And…” construct to validate ideas, to move dialog forward, and collaborate together towards a shared goal
- Stepping outside your comfort zone in a trusting environment
- Dealing with the unexpected with ease
- Learning to speak the language of your audience
- Increased understanding of subtext and subtle communication
- Balancing your agenda while being present